
For the past while I have thinking about my grandma Vida Arlene Barger Wagner. She passed away about 6 years ago from Alzheimer’s. She didn't suffer long from the Alzheimer’s which I grateful for. My family on her side was from southern Illinois so cooking was an important part of life. My grandma was an awesome cook. One of the things she made for breakfast was biscuits and gravy. In today’s health conscience world biscuits and gravy are not considered healthy in the least bit. She would fry sausage or bacon and then use the fat from the bacon or sausage as the base. She would put flour and milk in and then let it boil. She would always add a lot of pepper to give it spice.

I can't remember how she made her biscuits, from scratch or from a can. She didn't have a recipe and as I got older I asked her several times how she made it. She would just rattle off a little of this and that and then you had it. I craved her biscuits and gravy for years and was never brave enough to make it on my own. Finally about a year ago I thought I would give it a try. Believe it or not it turned out. I have been making it now for awhile but it is one of those breakfasts we only have once in awhile. Every time I make it I think of my grandma and how happy it makes me to make biscuits and gravy, plus it is really yummy!
No comments:
Post a Comment